Thursday, December 9, 2010

Python GUI Building with Boa Constructor

The tool that I use for building a GUI (Graphical User Interface) application for Python is Boa constructor.

In the last article I explained, what tools you need to build Python GUI's

One of the frustrating things I've found while researching on the internet, is the lack of information and tutorials showing you how to use Boa Constructor.



There are some video tutorials that show you how to use Boa Constructor. But they are very basic and only take you to the point of creating a:
  • frame
  • add buttons
  • add text boxes
  • add staticText (labels)
  • add sizers
  • create a menubar
  • create a status bar
I have been creating Python applications using Boa Constructor. Because there is a lack of information on how to add certain widgets, I have:
  • experimented how to add widgets
  • Boa Constructor crashes
  • try something else
  • Boa Constructor crashes
  • try something else
  • Boa Constructor crashes
After persisting, I have found a solution to the problem. So my advice to you is Persist, persist!!! until you find a solution.

This tutorial will show you how to create a wxPython frame in Boa Constructor.

As I said in the last tutorial I explained how you can install:

  • Python
  • wxPython
  • Boa Constructor
The Python version I'm using 2.6.x may appear out-dated compared to the later versions (2.8 and 3.0). The reason I'm using version 2.6.x is because some of the python modules are not up-to-date or can't function in version 2.8 and 3.0.

Build a wxPython GUI with Boa Constructor

blah blah blah blah

Python on Windows (OS) References
Python Download: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/python-2.6.6.msi
wxPython Download: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.11.0-py26.exe
Boa Constructor Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/boa-constructor/files/Boa-Constructor/0.6.1-beta/boa-constructor-0.6.1.src.win32.exe/download

No comments:

Post a Comment