Monday, May 13, 2019

Tkinter Constructor In The Making

I started focusing on learning Python Tkinter in October 2018. As a result of this learning I am now creating an application made entrirely from Tkinter. It is called "Tkinter Constructor".

Here is a Youtube video of what you can do with Tkinter Constructor.



Tkinter Constructor - GUI Creator

Wikipedia - Tkinter states:
Tkinter is a Python binding to the Tk GUI toolkit. It is the standard Python interface to the Tk GUI toolkit, and is Python's de facto standard GUI. Tkinter is included with standard Linux, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X installs of Python.
I had looked at Tkinter a few years back, but wasn't happy with its appearance on Windows. It looked like an old windows 95 application if not worse.

Now with ttk Themes Tkinter looks a lot better in Windows 10, as noted in the above youtube video.

The Text Editor in the video uses the pack geometry method. There is another video coming that shows the use of the grid geometry method, which is great for building data entry and database applications.

Tkinter: Python Standard GUI Toolkit 

Since Tkinter is the standard GUI toolkit in Python. I thought why not use tkinter. You won't have the hassle of downloading, installing, compiling and deal with incompatibility of third party packages.

I love Python as a programming language. It is easy to learn and understand. If you are interested in using the Tkinter GUI toolkit, I would highly recomment these websites as Tkinter references:

Google Search and Stackflow were a great help in finding examples of code related to the various tkinter widgets.

The Making of Tkinter Constructor

I started hand writing the tkinter code to construct a python/tkinter GUI and found it took a long time creating an application. Hand writing code is also error prone and takes up a lot of time debugging  due to typos or code not suited to a widget.

Then I thought, if I built a GUI construction application it would:
  • Speed up the development process
  • Reduce typo errors, debugging code
  • Most importantly teach me how to use tkinter
I started building Tkinter Constructor as a project to learn how to use tkinter.

Tkinter Constructor - Telling The World

At his stage Tkinter Constructor is still in Beta phase and isn't ready for consumer use.

The reason why I have created the Youtube video is to let the world  know about:
  • what Tkinter Constructor is
  • developing interest in the application
  • get user feedback and suggestions
If you have any suggestions or questions, please feel free to speak in the comments section.
Subscribe to this blog site and my Youtube channel Python Bytes.

Bibliograpy
Python Bytes Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC486taQ8gRb6gHKvyzdmplg
Tkinter Constructor first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VpYO_Q5vg
Tkinter Widipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tkinter
 An Introduction to Tkinter: http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/
Tkinter 8.5 reference: a GUI for Python: http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/web/index.html
Graphical User Interfaces with Tk: https://docs.python.org/3/library/tk.html
TkDocs: https://tkdocs.com/tutorial/index.html

5 comments:

  1. Daryl,
    This looks great! Have you not continued the project? I program Tkinter from text editor..like everyone else because there is no IDE I have found for Tkinter. As I watched the video I could see the background python code in my mind haha. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when will you continue this project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone for your comments. Yes I'm still developing Tkinter Constructor. In fact I'm using it all the time to create GUI's for python. In most cases database GUI programs. The trouble is, I feel it doesn't meet the python standards. I just whacked it all together with a theory in my mind on how it could be designed. The principle seemed obvious. I will keep you posted on developing python Tkinter GUI's.

    ReplyDelete